[Empeg-general] Re: Turn On/Off Thump

Ezekiel@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org Ezekiel@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 22:11:00 GMT

I now have a thump when I didn't before (MKII #335).  Here's what I did:

I got a CD/Radio which I wanted to switch on with empeg, not the ignition.  I installed this a few days ago and all had been going great, no thumps, could power up empeg after the key came out (radio was wired to ignition switch)

Today, wanting to get the radio to switch with the empeg I crimped the radio's switched power lead (red)in with the amp turn on lead (blue).  I left the radio's full time 12 V (yellow) alone.

I turned on the ignition to position 2 (acc power).  The empeg & radio turn on.  I switched the key back to position 1 (no acc power) and the empeg turned off with a blinking LED.  I turned the empeg on with the LH top button.  The radio came on as well.  All's good at this point.

With the empeg still on I put in the key and started the car's engine.  Still good.

I switched the engine off and THUD.  Now every time I switch between key position 2 and 1 (1 is just after the postion where you can remove the key) I get a thud.  The continuous power line is still 12V (I checked).  The switched lead goes from 12V to 0V when the key turns from 2 to 1 (I checked).  So what is it?

I have the developer kernel 1.0 installed as well as the voladj kernel.

I'm willing to check anything (have multimeter, will travel), but as it worked once but then quit it sure feels like it might be a bug.

I wired it back the way it had been before (took radio switched lead off amp wire) and it still thumped.  I checked the memory lead fuse & continuity, still good.

After a few more checks I can with certainty say that the memory lead stays +12V the whole time (measured inside the sled) and the switched lead goes from +12V to 0 when the key is switched from position 2 to 1.

(a very confused)
-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...