[Empeg-general] Re: Equaliser

ClownBurner@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org ClownBurner@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:21:00 GMT

Hopefully this answers your questions about basic EQ use... This is a general response, and I haven't gotten my empeg yet, so I can't be specific as to it's configuration or use, but this should apply to most car environments. This is the quick-and-dirty method, and if you are REAL picky and/or have spent several thousand dollars on an amp and speakers I recommend using a real-time analyzer (RTA) to achieve optimal results.

---
Step-by-step: The quick-and-dirty method for setting Car EQ

1. Play a tape or CD (preferably one containing a variety of acoustic instruments). It helps if it's well-recorded and something you're VERY familiar with. Preferably from a genre you listen to a lot.

2. Adjust the Deck's volume controls until the system is playing at a comfortable level. You should not hear any distortion. If you do, either your amp is underpowered for the volume you want to listen at, or something is wrong with with a sensitivity setting somewhere. Check the owner’s manual for your amp for information on setting its input sensitivity. Get this fixed *before* fiddling with your EQ.

>>PUBLIC SERVICE DISCLAIMER: Please remember that your hearing is NON-REPAIRABLE and that prolonged (>1hr) exposures to 95dB+ sound levels can cause permanent hearing loss. Use your judgement and you'll enjoy your music for much longer. <<

3. Remember that the goal of an EQ is to improve sound quality by smoothing frequency response, and not to make up for inadequate speakers. IT IS ALMOST ALWAYS BETTER TO CUT FREQUENCIES RATHER THAN BOOST THEM. Remember that excessive boosting (esp. of very low frequencies) can damage your speakers!

3. Listen to the vocals and instruments. Cutting the frequencies in the mid-bass (90 to 250 Hz) and mid-range (2 to 4 kHz) is usually a good start. The mid-bass response is usually a problem area due to standing waves caused by sound resonating in the passenger compartment. The mid-range frequencies are most sensitive to the ear and usually need to be brought down a bit.

4. Continue listening and try boosting the low bass frequencies in the 31.5 to 63 Hz area. Usually this area needs help due to design limitations of smaller woofers and loss of bass in cassettes. IF YOU HEAR ANY DISTORTION OR LIMITING COMING FROM YOUR SPEAKERS, YOU HAVE BOOSTED TOO MUCH! Don't try to use your EQ as a substitute for a 10" subwoofer. This is the most common cause of speaker (and hearing) damage related to EQs.