[Empeg-general] (Almost) Penguin Heaven

David T-G davidtg@bigfoot.com
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 13:43:16 -0400

--zaRBsRFn0XYhEU69

Hi, guys --

=2E..and then jimhogan@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org said...
%=20
% Well, I had started to rip/encode mp3s from my CD collection in advance o=
f the unit's arrival using RealJukeBox Plus, which seemed to work well, but=
 seemed to be lacking from a strategic standpoint.   What I desired was a n=
etworked mp3 store that would feed a few players/modes, a la:
%=20
% MP3 STORE ----------------> Desktop
%       |
%        ----------->Empeg (for home/boat)
%       |
%       ---> Laptop (for travel/airplane)
%               |
%                ---> Nomad (short trips)

I love this idea.  It really Makes Sense (TM).

%=20
% Perhaps I missed some possible workarounds, but the tack I took was to bu=
y a cheap 30GB IDE drive, and add it to an existing Linux box that I update=
d with a bunch of stuff (Helix and other general things).   I then installe=
d cdparanoia, lame, along with grip -- a rip/encode front end. Lastly, I in=
stalled MySQL and Digital DJ, a grip playlist add-on.  This machine is set =
up as a Samba server for my Windows desktop and (work) laptop.

Most excellent.

%=20
% Other TO-DOs: get another 30GB drive and an Arco Duplidisk and mirror tha=
t music!

Good idea :-)

=2E..and then Dan Wallach said...
%=20
% If your goal is to have the fastest possible MP3 encoding system, get the=
 fastest dual-processor machine you can afford and get a Plextor CD-ROM dri=
ve.  You can tell grip how many CPUs you've got and it runs that many copie=
s of lame in parallel.  Cool stuff.

In fact, gets lots of machines if you can find 'em :-)

You might be interested in checking out

  http://www.sector13.org/kazin/projects/mp3_encoder.html

for just such an application; Mike has put together a host of Linux
machines at his office and he uses spare cycles on all of them for
encoding.  You should see his collection :-)

I haven't posted this to the bboard, though it is going to empeg-general;
feel free to post it there if you wish, especially if you find it useful.

:-D
--=20
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) davidtg@bigfoot.com      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie
(work) davidtgwork@bigfoot.com
http://www.bigfoot.com/~davidtg/        Shpx gur Pbzzhavpngvbaf Qrprapl Npg!
The "new millennium" starts at the beginning of 2001.  There was no year 0.
Note: If bigfoot.com gives you fits, try sector13.org in its place. *sigh*

--zaRBsRFn0XYhEU69

--zaRBsRFn0XYhEU69--