[Empeg-general] Re: OT: Can anyone recommend a good NIC or SCSI card?

jimhogan@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org jimhogan@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:53:00 GMT

I was surprised when my trusty Adaptec 2940 just would not work reliably when I updated a WinNT 4 server to Windows 2000 AS; the attached Ricoh CD-RW and Toshiba CDROM would come and go unpredictably.  I tried a 2930 I had at hand -- same behavior.  I finally went out and grabbed a Tekram (315U) and it works like a charm.  Go figure.

I then re-introduced problems by trying to add an HP SCSI scanner; the Tekram doesn't do much to tell you its state when booting and the scanner was behaving oddly.  HP OEMs an Advansys SCSI adapter for this scanner; I just happened to have one and I added it.  That card has always worked well under Windows and Linux.

Ethernet?  Well, I updated all my machines to 3Com 3C905 cards *before* 3Com suddenly abandoned their core product line (leaving a client seriously up the creek) and causing me to swear that I would never trust them or buy any of their products again.  My existing cards do work well, though!  In future, Netgear, perhaps.