[Empeg-general] I've never ripped CD's and I want to do it right

Dylan@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org Dylan@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 13:56:00 GMT

Hi everyone. I just discovered the Empeg and this board from the review at Anandtech. The Empeg is about the coolest thing I've ever seen so I decided that I had to have one. I'm tired of having the same 10 CD's in my car for months at a time.

But I've never done much with MP3's other then download a few songs from Napster. I've never ripped a CD to MP3 before. This is going to take a long time to rip 200 CD's and I *really* don't want to to do it more than once. Can you guys give me some general tips/suggestions so I'm not smacking myself later when I realize I could have done it better.

It looks like AudioCatalyst is the tool to use. I don't mind paying the $30 for it. I also know that my drive supports DAE at about 8x.

What about bitrates and VBR? Is 128K really CD quality? I consider myself an audiophile though my car system isn't that great. So I am picky about sound quality up to the resolving ability of the system in my car.

TIA for any help!

-Dylan

Queue# 15969