[Empeg-general] Re: I've never ripped CD's and I want to do it right

borislav@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org borislav@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 06:20:00 GMT

> The problem is that the EAC/LAME takes 4 times longer than AC/XING to rip and encode a CD. I used the recommended encoding settings from r3mix and the file sizes were about the same as XING's VBR Normal/High setting. I didn't compare them for sound quality because I decided that it didn't matter.

Look at it this way: you rip and encode a CD once; you'll listen to it many many times. It's definitely worth taking the time to do it properly (that's what you were asking for in the first place).

Ripping a CD badly produces very noticable pops and clicks. I use <A HREF="http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/" target="_new">cdparanoia</A> under Linux (similar in functionality to EAC), it tells me when it detects an error in the data stream produced by the CDROM drive. I don't think I've ever ripped a track without at least 2-3 corrected errors in it. A less paranoid ripper would have left pops in their place.

Differences in the quality of the encoding would be harder to notice, but if you can notice them, I think it's definitely worth going with the better one, even if it takes longer. At least for your favourite CDs :-)

Borislav

<P ID="edit">_Edited by borislav on 25/9/00 08:07 AM._