[Empeg-general] Re: I've never ripped CD's and I want to do it right

peter@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org peter@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:17:00 GMT

even if LAME generated a perfect copy it wouldn't be enough improvement to make it worth the added encoding time. At 50 minutes for a full CD I could probably only average a couple a day unless I want to become a CD feeding monkey slave to my computer.

Each to his own, but to my mind having a good-quality copy outweighed the chore of the added encoding time. So I became a CD feeding monkey slave, at least at work: I brought in 15 or so CDs each morning, ripped them during the day without encoding them (changing the CD whenever I noticed one had finished), and then set a batch encoding job going each night so they were all done by morning. (Of course, it helped that I had shedloads of disc space on my work PC.)

At 15 CDs per working day it didn't take long to do my whole collection. Doing the encoding separately and overnight stopped the PC from being too sluggish when I was trying to do real work on it.

         Peter