[Empeg-general] I thought 18GB was too much!

yn0t_@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org yn0t_@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:00:00 GMT

Aargh!  I thought I had it figured out perfectly.  I got an 18GB Empeg model, knowing that I have a lot of music.  230 so CD's and a bunch of assorted MP3's (all of which I also own the original, of course.)  I did some tests and figured out that 128k CBR encoding (with LAME) was the same perceivable quality as higher bitrate VBR's, at least on my factory system.  So I thought I'd fit all my music on.  So I come into work on a Sunday to scan in my CD's (I work in a lab with 10 PC's with fast CD-ROM drives.)  And I come up about 10 albums short of space on my Empeg!  I have like 90 megs free on an 18GB drive!  Unbelievable.  I guess my math was a little off.

Then I realized I accidentally encoded many of my albums as Stereo instead of Joint Stereo.  I thought that might explain things...  But I tried re-encoding in JS and there was no size difference at all...  I expected at least a little, but nothing with any of the albums I tried.  So I'm not going to bother re-encoding.

So anyway, it looks like I have to make some "cuts" from my collection.  But I really do listen to every CD I own at one time or another...  I thought about going through soundtracks and deleting some of the weaker songs from those...  Or maybe I might have a disc or two that I only bought for a couple songs...  But most of my albums I listen all the way through.  Sigh...  This is going to be a difficult process.  I hope I'm not insane enough to buy a second HD for this thing...

-Tony
MkII 080000554