[Empeg-general] Re: I thought 18GB was too much!

Trevor Pendleton trevorp@horatio.sbe.nova.edu
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:12:00 GMT

You could always encode some of your CDs at a lower rate (maybe the less demanding ones.)

Also, If you are satisfied with 128k, then why not use VBR with a max of 128k?  This way they will almost always be smaller in size, but still have your max rate of 128k, and often a much smaller rate (depending on how low you set it.)

As an example, Tom Sawyer off the Digitaly Remastered Moving pictures takes 4.17MB at 128k CBR.  At VBR min 64k, max 128k, it's 4.08MB.  So that's only 0.09MB savings, but subtract that from every song over your 230 CD collection, and that adds up.

(NB:  The above suggestion is based on theory.  I haven't listened to these two on my empeg for differences...  My PC sound is adequate, but not good enough for comparisons like this...)

I'm in a different boat.  I only got the 12Gb, and figured it'd be fine, which it currently is.  I've realized what crap I own for CDs (no accounting for what I used to like...), and I'm now looking for new CDs to buy (then rip...)

-Trevor

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB 080000349