[Empeg-general] Re: I thought 18GB was too much!

Douglas Burnside burnside@alaska.net
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 22:41:00 GMT

> Financially, it makes sense for me to spend the extra $100 price difference and go ahead and get the 12GB version but I honestly don't see me ever needing that kind of space

Please, oh please do not handicap yourself with a 6 GB player.

You are making a decision based on some faulty assumptions.  Just ask any of the original Mark I purchasers who decided that 4 GB or 6 GB or even 10 GB was more than they would ever use.

This will seem hard to believe, but it is really true:  Once you have the empeg, your listening habits are going to change dramatically.  The empowerment of having _all_ of your music so effortlessly and randomly available changes the _way_ you listen and it changes _what_ you listen to.  I am not going to belabor this point as nothing I can say will convince you of this until you actually have and use an empeg.  Tony said it very well <A HREF="http://empeg.comms.net/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=empeg_general&Number=2747&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post2747" target="_new"> here</A>, and I am hoping he will jump in and re-inforce what I am saying.

Another possibly faulty assumption is that your present collection is all the music you are ever going to have.  As you get older, your tastes in music will expand, and there will be additional music available that suits your present tastes.  These factors will require more space.

I would consider 12 GB to be the absolute minimum to start out.

I know I have not convinced you, and that you are going to come back with some perfectly logical and plausible refutations of my arguments.  I just wish to reserve the right to say "I told you so!" at some later date.   ;-)

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"