[Empeg-general] Re: Coolant leak

Rob Schofield somewhereth@sflat
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:48:00 GMT

AAHHH! _TING_ (Sound of penny dropping)

Doug, yours is a Ford V6 in a Taurus! I am willing to bet (say, around $100) that you have a defective water pump.

Check it out, you may get a surprise. This is a common failure on all short-block Ford V6s, and is also Ford's main component design problem. I have seen this on my neighbour's (imported) Taurus, a few Cortinas, several Escorts (one of which also took out the non-return valve to the brake servo - interesting combination of failure modes, that - "what's that steam? Better stop and SSSHHHHIII......"), a couple of Siestas, a Sierra Cosworth, an Anglia, blimey the list goes on and on. Suffice to say, Ford water pump designs are CRAP  }:-(

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners...  :) #00015