[Empeg-general] Re: Empeg Optimal Volume

TedP@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org TedP at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 05:48:00 GMT

Not necesarrily,  dB is purely a relative measure. You can say things like 0 dBFS to mean a full-scale digital signal. You can also say something like 0 dBm about an analog signal to describe a 1 milliwatt signal, but 0dB really means nothing unless it's relative to somthing. This is confusing, but I deal with this kind of stuff every day at work.

So, the test case to find out how the unit is designed (without the schematics) would be to generate a 0dBFS sinewave digitally, and look at the RCA output with an o-scope. I think that the waveform will be clean even above a 0db volume setting.

But I think everyone is saying the same thing, start at the source and go from there.

Also, as an aside, you are getting the same level of alternator noise on your input to your amplifier, but since you're applying less gain at the amp, it is less noticeable.

-Ted