[Empeg-general] Re: Empeg Lockups: try this

mlord@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org mlord at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:43:00 GMT

<may I suggest you NOT fix Hugo's bug until you know for sure
<it's the cause of the problem?

Yeah, I'm thinking that too.

But there is no question that it's a real bug, and also that it causes at least some of the lockups.  The buggy code executes 100 times/second, and only needs to be hit once with a simultaneous FIQ to be triggered.

Remember the lockups we had when I first added the temperature-reading code into Hijack?  Those happened reasonably often, and were due to exactly the same coding problem.  Except this new bug has a about 200 times the probability of occuring.

Most of the time, it will be barely noticeable, but some of the time it could lock up the player for as long as 19 minutes or so (32-bit timer at 3.6864mhz) -- which is pretty much what people are reporting here.

But a little more data would be nice to confirm all of this.  So, I'll put out v222 this morning, WITHOUT the fix, but with more data collection for when it happens.

Cheers