[Empeg-general] Re: questions about setting up EAC/lame

nikko@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org nikko at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 00:18:00 GMT

Thanks, Rue.  I did upgrade to the 1 gig cpu.  I haven't noticed the dramatic improvement I was expecting.  It definitely seems more brisk, but not by the leaps and bounds I was expecting.   I guess I shouldn't complain, in effect, it seems like maybe it does the whole process at about 2x whereas before it was 1x.  FWIW, I am running the -alt-preset extreme.

My bigger concern is the ripping part.  As I noted in another post, I was extracting audio at a max of about 3x with my Plextor as a master on the secondary IDE.  For other reasons, I needed to have it set as my slave temporarily on the same cable.  At that point, the extraction rates jumped to 9x or more consistently.  When I had to go back to having it be a master, the extraction speeds dropped down to what they had been previously.  That strikes me as odd, and nobody has really been able to explain to me why that is.