[Empeg-general] Re: Empeg Optimal Volume

SE_Sport_Driver@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org SE_Sport_Driver at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 04:52:00 GMT

0dB in digital means 0 attenuation. (I'm sure you know that).  So, anything above that (+whatever) will create distortion.  Digital distortion is not the warm, fuzzy fealing that analgue geeks love - it is harsh and consists of ugly square waves.  So, I say, start at the sourse, get the highest output possible without noise (0dB) and work from there.  Any amp, ANY AMP, will introduce more noise than the empeg.  So, in order to have the lowest noise in the system - the lowest setting at the amp is needed.  The only way to do that is to have the highest clean output from the empeg.

Another reason is that having a stronger signal in your RCA's will allow the least amount of noise to be introduced into the wires.   My slight alernator whine goes away when I raise the volume.  And since the amplification is constant (from the amp), it is the higher signal through the RCA's that is getting rid of it (and covering it at some point).

But basically, whatever you can do to get the lowest setting on amp - the better.  They distort less and run cooler.

All of this is assuming no loudness.  EQ shouldn't never be used to increase a frequency band's strength - only lower the others.