[Empeg-general] remote problems

kswish0@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org kswish0 at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 05:22:00 GMT

i was having a problem with my rio remote where it would randomly decide to work or not.  i replaced the battery and it still did the same thing.  finally, it just quit working about a week ago.  i know there are several other threads about people having similar problems with their remotes and some people said it was the battery contacts.  so i decided to just go ahead and take my remote apart to try and fix it since it wasn't doing me anygood anyways.  I successfully fixed it and it now works 100% of the time.

to fix the problem, you have to bend the contact wires which touch the battery.  this can probably be done without taking the remote apart if you have small enough tools to fit in the slot for the battery but it is farily easy to fix by taking the remote apart.

first, you have to peel the button sticker off.  not the sticker on the back of the remote, but the buttons themselves are just a sticker.  be very careful while doing this so you dont damage the buttons.  once you have this off, there are 4 screws holding the circuit board in place.  you need a very small screwdriver to get these (i used a screwdriver from an eye-glasses repair kit).  then you can carefully take the circuit board out of the remote, being careful not to break the ir emitter off.

you now have to bend the battery contact wires so that they make good contact with the battery.  only use very slight bends as the wires are very fragile.  just play around with them until you get them to where they make good solid contact with the positive and negative terminals of the battery.  you want them to apply slight pressure to make sure they maintain contact.  then just do the opposite of how you took it apart to put it back together.  when you are putting the button sticker back on, make sure you have the buttons lined up with the contact points on the board.

my remote works great now that i did this.  the only problem i have with it is that the button sticker was peeling up a little bit in one of the corners, i easily fixed this with a very small drop of glue.

do this at your own risk though. it is possible to damage the remote while doing this and i will not be held responsible.  i hope this helps some of you who have been having problems with the remotes.  if you want to try this and have any questions or want a better description of something, feel free to ask.  i'd be glad to help if i can