[Empeg-general] Re: Genres

hybrid8@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org hybrid8 at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 03:50:00 GMT

I say do whatever will make it easier for YOU to find what you want when you want it.  If that means putting songs into multiple genre lists so be it.  That doesn't have to be affected by what the player's search function can and can't do.  Your list structure looks good to me.

Also, there's no limitation in ID3 preventing you from multiple genres per track.  As a matter of fact, ID3Tag-It supports adding multiple genres.  A lot (most) other software doesn't support this and will only show the first genre (so Tag-It has the ability to order the list).

I was going to make a multi-genre WISH in the forum, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  Thought I'd wait until after the next beta, because it might be more of a post-2.0 feature request.

As for choice of genres?  For the reasons you mention, I would avoid the category "Rock" because nothing fits into it as well as it will fit into one of its sub-genres.  Just don't make your sub-genres too specific that they will only fit a single artist or a couple of songs.  Of course, try not lumping everything into "Alternative Rock" because then you're back at square one.

Bruno