[Empeg-general] Re: ANother "Read the FAQ" question:

Douglas Burnside burnside at alaska.net
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 23:16:00 GMT

I do not know if this is a mechanical failure of the disks,

Not failure, exactly.  I think that the grease in the spindle bearings is so stiff that the disks do not spin up to their rated speed in a short enough time to avoid timing out, so the bootup fails.

I can state from personal experience that my 18GB Mark2 will start up reliably at temperatures below zero Fahrenheit, and that it will not start up at minus 15 degrees Fahrenheit.

I do not make a habit of this, but a few times, due to forgetfulness on my part I have tested this.

tanstaafl.