[Empeg-general] Re: Anyone using Mk2a with Nakamichi 45-z head unit?

Andy Fox Bagpuss at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:58:00 GMT

I'm not using the Nak, but I am using a second head unit to provide amplification for the Empeg.

I was initially concerned about the high voltage from the Empeg pre-amp outputs, but you have to bear in mind that they will only be putting out +4v when you have the volume right up.

When I did my install, I turned the volume on the Empeg down to 0, and turned the volume on the second head unit to maximum. I then turned the volume on the Empeg up until the sound from the second head unit began to distort. Crank the Empeg back a couple of dB from there, and you should be fine.

>From then on, always control the volume using the second head unit.

For reference, I am using a Kenwood KDC-8090R as the second head unit, which I believe also has 1v pre-amp inputs.

As an aside, I am currently trying to see if there is a way to make the Hijack kernel disable the rotary control for volume +/- purposes. In this way, you wouldn't accidentally increase the volume to beyond what your second head unit can take.

Andy.