[Empeg-general] Re: The word "the"

yn0t_@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org yn0t_ at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:43:00 GMT

I've never had a problem with the way the player handles "The", and I leave it in the band names all the time.

Well then, let's review.  Here are the capabilities and limitations as I understand them.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Assuming the use of "The" in artists...

1.  The player correctly finds them in a fuzzy search.  If I type in "Doors" it works okay.
1a.  However, artist which actually begin with D, E, and F appear first when scrolling down, *then* The Doors appears sorted as a "T" instead of a "D".
2.  According to what people have said (I haven't tried this yet) playlists and tracks in Emplode are sorted in the T's instead of their proper place.  This is not intuitive.  Any artists with "The" would have to be manually (alt-dragged) into their proper place in the alphabet, and resorting the playlist would scew this up.
3.  Also, according to what I've read here, artists in soup views are sorted with the T's.  So, if soup views were implemented on the player, I'd have to go to the T's to get to all of my "The X" artists.  Not intuitive.

Make sense?  See why this is a bit limiting and counter-intuitive?