[Empeg-general] Question about the dimmer/capacitor fix...

Tony Fabris tfabris at jps.net
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:32:00 GMT

Okay, by now we all have seen the posts regarding this fix for the display dimmer, the one involving soldering a capacitor onto the display board.

This fix is supposed to prevent the display from showing random levels of brightness as you are adjusting it from the "dimmer" menu.

There is another different problem, one that isn't the same bug. This problem manifests itself as follows: Occasionally (very rarely), the player boots up with the display dim. The bootup animation and custom boot logo will show as being dim. However, when the player binary itself loads up, it resets the display brightness and the display pops back to the correct brightness level by the time the player is done booting.

Here is my question:

Will the capacitor fix ALSO solve this rare "initially-dim" problem? Or does it only solve the random-brightness-levels-when-setting problem?

I've got the "initially dim" problem and I'm wondering if I could fix it by soldering the capacitor into place.