[Empeg-general] Re: The word "the"

hybrid8@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org hybrid8 at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:45:00 GMT

All my artist fields (original  ID3 and player database) contain "The" where appropriate.  My PLAYLISTS however, use "The" after the unique part of the name ("Beatles, The")

This distinction in playlists isn't necessary with 2.0 software, but it's a left-over from the way I have my folders named on my backup drive (the OS doesn't have the fancy sorting abilities made easy by the player database).

Regardless of how Soup views get implemented on the player, I will not be changing the Artist fields to remove leading "The" or "A" - when information is presented in Track view, I want to see it as I would read it on the CD (or album or whatever).

One of the better suggestions (though costly in memory) was to allow using an alternate (new) field for sorting.  This would take care of any special cases such as names.  I just hope that Soup views will handle the basics like "The" and "A"  - I'll just have to get by with a first-last linear alphabetical on artist names.

Bruno