[Empeg-general] Re: Loopholes

Bryce@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org Bryce at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 02:59:00 GMT

I keep reading, and I keep seeing the word "computer" in Title 17, Chapter 10 exactly twice. The first establishes the exemption for media intended for data use, the second in turn excludes computer data from the AHRA's protections.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/ch10.html

The definition of a "digital audio recording device" in Paragraph 3 would generally seem to exclude a personal computer. First, it is only concerned with the primary purpose of it's digital recording function. Second, it takes the device's marketing into account.

"Rip. Mix. Burn."

Applying it to any computer with a CD-ROM may be a stretch, but every iMac now has CDRW standard. As do computers computers from many other manufacturers.

Or are you arguing that computers represent "professional model products" ?