[Empeg-general] Re: Startup sound on ignition

DomoKun@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org DomoKun at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 06:19:00 GMT

Well I'm a weird kind of guy that changes my windows sound themes often. I just think it would be a fun thing to do. I would probably load HAL 9000 or KITT into it. I'm sure it would freak out all my passengers. I'm sure that if I keep the same startup sound on I'd get bored of it fast, so I'd probably change it often. Ideally, it would be nice if it would randomly choose 1 of several startup sounds. Or you could load a speech synthesis engine onto it and it could say some random phrase or something boring like the date and time.

But for now I want to see if I can get it to just play 1 simple audio file. I'm not very experienced in linux so could someone tell me exactly what I need to do. I downloaded my init file off the unit, but I see it is a binary file, not plain text. I was expecting it to be like autoexec.bat was in the old dos days. How do I edit the init file to load an applet, and what audio applet would you reccomend?