[Empeg-general] Re: New Prick CD : didn't know where to post this.

Tony Fabris tfabris at jps.net
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 04:27:00 GMT

BTW, did you like "Test For Echo" the first time, or did you have to listen a couple of times.

Having to listen to a Rush album several times before I really "get into it" is the normal pattern of behavior for me and Rush albums. In fact, falling madly in love with a Rush album on the first listen is the exception rather than the rule.

As always, repeated listenings are the most rewarding part of listening to Rush. There are many examples of pop songs that sound neat the first couple of times you listen to them, but they grate on you after the third, fourth, or ten thousandth time (thank god I don't listen to pop radio). Rush tunes, although they might not all have a "hook", don't get old fast. There's always new layers of subtlety to discover.

A perfect example is the aforementioned "Hemispheres". I think I must have had to listen to that one about six times before I even began to like it. Now, I'm totally enthralled by it, beginning to end.

On the other hand, Moving Pictures and Power Windows both blew me away when I first heard them, and still do so to this day.

But I agree that TFE is one of the "has to grow on you" albums.