[Empeg-general] Re: New to Linux - JEmplode not finding players

mschrag@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org mschrag at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:26:00 GMT

Discovery hasn't been touched in almost 10 builds... Keep in mind that Java's capabilities when it comes to broadcasting (specifically introspecting NICs and their configuration data) is not very good, so there are a lot of goofy hack-arounds to try to make discovery work as well as it can.... It's definitely got some issues (until JDK 1.4, where I can get a lot more information about the NIC, but most people aren't running that, so no dice).

I would first figure out why FTP isn't working before trying to figure out why jEmplode isn't working -- sounds like something more sinister, like a weird firewall, router, proxy, or switch configuration (maybe that only allows port 80)

Mike