[Empeg-general] The din of DIN

Diznario@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org Diznario at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 21:55:00 GMT

Well, it sort of does refers to the same measurements... But some car makers, due to the mounting system they use - screwing brackets to the body of the head unit, only give space enough for the actual head unit and not for the mounting bracket used by others, where the bracket is fixes to the dash and the head unit slides into the bracket.

OK...  That sounds completely reasonable.  Here's what happened to me, and hence my confusion:

Both the dealership and a local stereo place told me my car had a standard DIN slot, but of course, the empeg didn't fit in it.  It was too big.  The guys at the stereo place told me it was because the empeg was "Euro DIN" instead of "Standard DIN".  They then brought out one of the head units they sell and said something along the lines of "See?  This is a normal DIN head unit.  It's a little  smaller."

So, given this situation, why shouldn't I believe them?  The empeg (with the sleeve) was larger than other head units, so the "Standard" vs. "Euro" explanation seemed perfectly reasonable.  (And now that I think of it, it was probably easier for them to explain it away like that, also.)

At that point I thought something along the lines of "Well, that's what I get for buying some wacky semi-home-brew product from across the pond.", and then proceeded to have it installed anyway, knowing the extra custom work was needed.

So I guess my question is, since it's such a mixed bag of car manufacturers doing different stuff, how do you know if a car has that extra space or not?  Is there a term for it?  "DIN + sleeve space" or something?

Also, is it like that in Europe, or does every car have the extra space?

Just trying to figure everything out...