[Empeg-general] Re: The din of DIN

mtempsch@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org mtempsch at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:42:00 GMT

So I guess my question is, since it's such a mixed bag of car manufacturers doing different stuff, how do you know if a car has that extra space or not? Is there a term for it? "DIN + sleeve space" or something?

Also, is it like that in Europe, or does every car have the extra space?

Having only owned cars manufactured in Europe I can't comment on US or japanese cars (I'd imagine the situation for japanese cars to be identical in the US and in Europe. I'd think the best bet is to look if the mounting is by brackets or into hole. In all the cars I've had, the mounting system has been "sleeve in hole", and there was no size problem - Fiats (Ritmo and Uno, Ford Escort, SAABs (99 and 900), VW Polo) Same goes for all cars of friends. Any aftermarket console (meant for mounting a HU below the existing dash) sold here has had the "full-size" DIN hole.

The sleeve for the JVC HU I had for a while before I got my first empeg was exactly the same size as the empeg cradle (press fit into my VW Polo, hardly had to use the anchoring tabs).

I've seen European cars with dash trim extending so that you didn't need/could use the trim ring the HU came with though - but the mounting was still sleeve in hole, and the hole "full size".

/Michael