[Empeg-general] Possible solution to Fujitsu drive problems, etc

njdboy@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org njdboy at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 01:16:00 GMT

I was getting a "no hard disk found" error frequently after upgrading to 2.0 beta 11. I didn't know if it was related to the new beta, but thought it could be a possibity since I never before got that problem.  Then I thought perhaps it was a faulty hard drive cable, so I replaced it with one sent to me from the empeg guys, but still the problem persisted. By the way, I have dual Fujitsu 30 GB drives. Only one of the drives makes a clicking noise when trying to boot up and simply won't, even with the new cable inserted. It would boot fine every 1 in 5 or 6 tries. But then when I put the cover back on, etc, the problem would come back before long.

Frustrated, I decided to drop back to version 1.03 as a last ditch effort.

Amazingly, ever since I dropped back to 1.03 I have had no problems. I don't know why the new beta would affect boot up, but so far that is the only thing that makes sense.

If anyone has any information regarding this, I would love to know a possible reason for all this craziness!