[Empeg-general] Re: Digital Out?

maczrool@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org maczrool at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:07:00 GMT

What exactly is I2S?  I thought it was just the name of the pads on the Empeg board from which a digital audio signal could be tapped.  According to a post I read, one simply needs to construct a small board with the Crystal CS8405 IC and supporting circuitry to get digital out.

Assuming that is the case, it would seem that an optical output would be the best choice, as the head units I've seen only offer that form of input.  I still need to figure some things out, as the schematic for the eval board omits some of the values for the components.  The crystal they say to use is for 48 khz sampling rate, and of course we need the value for 44.1 khz.  Anyone care to look at the schematic and figure out what the various missing values are for the good of us all?  As long as I know what parts I need to buy, it shouldn't be that hard to come up with a board that will do the job.  The trickiest part is the surface mount leads on the CS8405.

Also, one thing I realized, is that if you use the digital output on the back of the Empeg in the car, it will negate some of the benefits of having the docking connector.  Unless it's possible to send a coax digital signal through unused conductors on the docking connector (if there are any), it's going to require a cable with enough slack to allow one to pull out the Empeg and then unplug/plug the cable each time the Empeg is removed/inserted into the dock.

I too would like to see the I2S pads on the board so I don't have to open my warrantied Rio Car.

Any thoughts?

Stu