[Empeg-general] Re: Digital Out?

tman@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org tman at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:11:00 GMT

I2S is a standard by Phillips to allows chips to send and receive sound data in a standard way.  It stands for Inter IC Sound.  The Crystal IC reencodes this data to SP/DIF.

A related standard also by Phillips is I2C which stands for Inter IC. This is used for control signals e.g. setting the registers in the empeg DSP.

If I've got the time I'll download the specification of the Crystal IC and have a look.  Its shouldn't be very difficult.  But there is one thing, you'll also have to hook this chip up to the I2C bus for control.

There aren't any unused pins on the docking connection unfortunately.

 - Trevor