[Empeg-general] Re: Newbie here. Need an opinion

Tony Fabris tfabris at jps.net
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:47:00 GMT

is its DSP and sound field imaging worth keeping over the parametric eq of the MKII?

Interesting question.

My personal feeling is that, for the most part, DSP tricks done with echo (whether they are given the fancy name of "sound field imaging" or "concert hall sound" or whatever) are a complete waste of time. All they do is muddy the sound of what used to be a perfectly good two-track stereo recording.

I don't know the details of the Pioneer DEH-P900R unit, so I don't know if its features are anything more than just echo tricks. But if that's all they are, then don't bother with them.

Also keep in mind that this isn't something you have to agonize over. If you're using an external amp anyway, then switching back and forth between the two connection methods is really just a question of re-patching some plugs behind the dash. So you can always try it one way, and change it to the other way if you don't like it.