[Empeg-technical] download.c and serial programming

wfaulk@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org wfaulk at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Wed Apr 2 17:44:00 2003

I'm not much at serial port programming.  Hell, I'm not much at programming at all.  But this one's got me baffled.

I'm trying to get download.c to work under Solaris, and it's not being cooperative.  (That antecedent is indefinite on purpose.  :-))

What I've gotten to now is that it's sent the Ctrl-A at boot to get into upgrade mode, and it's read the appropriate stuff (manufacturer and product codes, the `?' prompt), but when it goes to write `u' and the page address to unlock, it expects for its `u' to be echoed back.  It never sees it come back.

I've attached to the empeg via tip and done the same things to that point by hand and I do see the `u' echoed back.

Even though I'm fairly confident that the program that's being run on the empeg at that point is supposed to be echoing the `u' back, especially since none of the following characters are echoed back, I feel like I've done something wrong, like set the serial port parameters incorrectly or something.

Notably, I had to make a cfmakeraw(), as that seems to be a Linux-only function.  I've cribbed what it does from a Linux machine's cfmakeraw man page.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I suppose I could try to comment out that check, but I don't know if it'll try to insert that `u' in somewhere important later.