[Empeg-technical] Re: Possible alternate source for VFD

genixia at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org genixia at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Wed Apr 9 13:47:00 PDT 2003

I can't really understand the desire for a 100TX ethernet port...sure, I can understand that when initially loading a blank player it would make a huge difference. And I can also understand that drive upgrades would be significantly faster. But for daily/weekly music uploads I can't see that alone worth the expense of a new mainboard.

Supposing that a new mainboard were to be made with all the other desired features, then that would still be wasteful - the old board which works so well would be thrown out. And there'd still be many issues such as retrofitting additional docking connectors for firewire/LCD/etc. to both the case and the sled. And if you were also replacing the display, then what remains the same? Wouldn't it make more sense to build a wholly new unit, and leave the old one alone? (Therefore having the option of selling it and recouping some cash)

I'd rather see the money spent on an ethernet-based extender that drives a 640x480 LCD touchscreen (or non-touchscreen with surrounding buttons), and also provides addtional IO support (especially RS232 serial).