[Empeg-technical] Re: Possible alternate source for VFD

Roger Lipscombe Roger at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Thu Apr 10 04:42:00 PDT 2003

> Roger said he doesn't switch off any of his PC's, unless he's got a lot of arms he's certainly isn't using them all at the same time! (Unless they're all servers, but *why* would anyone want a windows XP server)

The Windows XP box is my desktop.  One of the Linux boxes is my firewall.  The other Linux box is my fileserver.

Yet another Linux box is my webserver -- it's colocated somewhere with a fatter pipe, so I can't combine the functionality with one of the boxes at home.

So, no, I don't have that many arms and, no, I'm not using them all at once.

However, I will say this: repeated thermal stress caused by constant on/off cycles increases the risk of premature PC failure.  Considering the amount of energy required to build the PC, and the amount of nasty chemicals used in the manufacturing process, I'm probably doing the environment a favour by leaving my PC's on all the time.