Extracting to a hard disk without using Tivonet

Faye Pearson faye at c...
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:09:50 +0100

ak@e... wrote:
> I am running 1.3 and was wondering how I could extract a program on
> my Tivo.
>
> Is there a program out there which will enable me to take my hard
> disk out of the Tivo and convert the tystream to a usable Mpeg file.
>
> I would then pop the drive back in the tivo.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.

I'm using 1.5.2 and have made changes to ExtractStream so that it is
byte order independent and works under Linux. I believe that the
stream format is the same as 1.3

There's no way I currently know of that you can access these using
Windows. If you don't want to or can't use linux then stop reading
now :)

You'll also need to hack your tivo so that you can get a command
prompt on it so that you can run the httpd that comes with
ExtractStream and get the stream ids (unless you have some other
way to get the stream id).

I need to make a few changes to the sources to tidy it up but then
I will put it on a webpage.

Don't ask me how to setup your linux machine for tivo, there's
already *loads* of information out there on the internet.

You need to patch the kernel for TiVo Partition support and
Hard drive unlocking support.

It's much better to compile your normal kernel with support for
TiVo as it lets you access everything you normally can. I don't
recommend using the tivo boot disks that are available they can't
access FAT partitions so they're no good for just copying to your
windows drives anyway.

Faye

--
Faye Pearson

Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists.
-- John Kenneth Galbraith