Extracted Quality?

Faye Pearson faye at c...
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:13:40 +0100

> From: "Scott Siegel" <sunyscott@y...>
>
> Hi. I've been on this news service for a while but haven't followed along
> much recently. Can someone tell me or point me to a good FAQ that explains
> how tivonet works, how to extract the tivo source from the device (not a
> directivo, but a standalone tivo) into a format that can be converted and
> burned as a VCD. I have a PC with a burner in it but it runs windows me. I
> also have a laptop with Win 98, and a Linux boot disk from when I put an
> 80GB drive into the TiVo.

I believe that ME has a 4Gb file size limit (98 is limited at 2Gb)
NTFS has no filesize limit we need to worry about for TiVo. This means you
should be able to take approximately 1.5 hrs of content from your tivo at a
time and work on it.

Tivonet is a piece of hardware that lets you connect an NE2000 compatible
card to your TiVo and copy the files off that way. Much less hassle than
removing the drives each time.

I currently use a PPP link to my TiVo and I have been unable to get SAMBA
to connect to Windows XP shares. This could be an XP thing though.

You will need to have SAMBA working if you can't use Linux for your
transfers.

The way I've been doing it is basically:

1) Get the ids
Use HTTPD.tcl on TiVo to get the TyStream Id's for the program you want
to store.

2) Extract the streams
Remove both drives from TiVo (UK Thompson model) and connect to
primary IDE (disable them in the BIOS) - I use a KT7 RAID and my HD is on
the RAID controller.

Start linux (patched with Tivo Partition patch and IDE Unlock patch)

Run ExtractStream to extract the TyStream from the HDs.
This gives you an m2v stream and an mp2 stream.

3) Process the streams

I copy the files to Windows and work on them there.

Goldwave converts the stream to 48KHz and the TimeWarp feature can correct
any drift (requires perseverance)

I open the file in DVD2AVI and save a project. This creates a VFAPI
compatible project.

With the VFAPI plugin, this project (d2v) can be loaded into TMPGEnc directly.
load the DVD Template and make adjustments as necessary on the Advanced options
page (crop black bars etc)... start the process and go and do something
less boring instead.

4) Use the processed streams
Load the video and audio into DVDit and make a test DVD.

Basically you'd replace 2 with extracting from the tivo to a windows
share over tivonet.

There are FAQs on the specifics on 9thtee.com (They also sell Tivonet)

Faye

--
Faye Pearson