[ExtractStream] more than 2 gigs extracted = not possible on linux?

Barcinski, Andy andy at a...
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:25:27 -0500

> It's not a kernel/OS issue, it's an
> application/libc issue.

Actually, it's a kernel/filesystem issue. A 32 bit machine implicitly
limits the maximum file size under linux, but certain filesystems allow for
workarounds. I've seen Oracle on reiser with success.

Check out the paper at http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue55/florido.html. It
pits a few (journaling) filesystems against each other. There's a bright
Teal box, under "Solving the inability" that gives some intersting
information.

As a fix for now, use ReiserFS. It's stable and a much better performer
than ext2 (unless, of course, you get a distro that has debugging turned on
in the fs code. You don't use a default kernel now, do you? :-) ).