[ExtractStream] more than 2 gigs extracted = not possible on linux?

sharkey@a... sharkey at a...
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:50:29 -0400

> > It's not a kernel/OS issue, it's an
> > application/libc issue.
>
> Actually, it's a kernel/filesystem issue.

The linux kernel with a standard ext2 filesystem fully supports >2GB files.
I've used them several times.

> A 32 bit machine implicitly
> limits the maximum file size under linux

Wrong. Try it yourself.

> but certain filesystems allow for
> workarounds. I've seen Oracle on reiser with success.

Most large data base packages like Oracle don't use filesystems at all,
they store their database information on a raw, unformatted partition.
(Although they can use filesystems if you want to set them up that way.)

> Check out the paper at http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue55/florido.html. It
> pits a few (journaling) filesystems against each other.

Journaling and large files are completely separate issues.

> There's a bright
> Teal box, under "Solving the inability" that gives some intersting
> information.

This is out of date. Note the caption "and once the 2.4 kernels come out".

Eric