[ExtractStream] What is most likely a FAQ...

Eric Sharkey sharkey at a...
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:54:57 -0500

> I apologize, but I couldn't find the answer to my question in the archives.
> If there is a place to point me to, feel free to do that offlist instead of
> answering a question on-list that's been answered before.

http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/howto/tivo-dsl.htm

This details how to set up a Tivo to connect over the serial port for
the purpose of avoiding use of the modem for updates. Even if you don't
want to do that, you can follow the same instructions for setting up the
PPP serial link and just skip the final steps.

ExtractStream instructions are at:

http://www.9thtee.com/ExtractStream.html

> With that said, I have a two drive upgraded TIVO with a show that I would
> like to get transferred to my computer.
>
> The computer is nearby, with a free serial port.

Once the network interface is established, it doesn't matter if it's
a serial interface or an ethernet interface. The instructions are the
same either way. The only difference is that it's going to take a *LONG*
time to transfer data over the serial line. You're going to max out
at about 12KB/s, and 1 hour of basic quality data is about 1GB of data.
That comes out to about 1 day to transfer 1 basic quality hour of
programming. If you're patient, you can do it, it'll work, but there's
a reason most people who want to do this buy TivoNet cards.

Eric