Every other FSID is bad?

jeremyjgordonhome jgordon at s...
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 22:11:12 -0000

Hi all,

I've got a brand new, virgin 30 hour Sony SVR2000 (with 2.5.1
software on it) which I installed TiVoNet in (haven't yet upgraded
the HD or anything like that yet). First off, the install scripts
failed, and I could never get /dev/hdX4 to mount correctly under any
of the boot disks or boot CD's.

I did manage to install the TiVoNet files on /dev/hdX7 successfully
(but never /dev/hdX4), and then get tivoweb-tcl up and running, as
well as SplitStream 0.5, and the utilities from the ZIP file on
JoeBoxer's page (modified httpd.tcl, nc, etc).

I can succesfully use these utilities to extract the data of some of
the FSID's listed in my NowShowing list, but several fail signature
check and can't be extracted (usually every other one in the
sequence for a particular show).

I have also successfully used TivoApp and tyConvert, but I have the
same problem; the first FSID for a given show works, but after that
several other ones fail to transfer (and looking in the telnet
window it shows fail signature checking, fail sector, etc).

The video that does extract (either split streams, or tyConvert
single streams) plays back great in WindowsXP MediaPlayer, and I've
sucessfully encoded, burned and watched an SVCD using TMPGEnc and my
Pioneer DVD player (an SVCD of the first part of a show, since some
FSID's fail to be read from the TiVo).

I am using WindowsXP, but I have RedHat 7.0 Linux installed in
VMWare, and after a bit of configure/makefile tweaking I finally got
GCC 2.8.1 TiVo cross compiling built and setup (from
tridge.samba.org). I cut and pasted some code from ExtractStream
into my own program to print out the get_tyStream... stuff, and like
ExtractStream and SplitStream it also fails to extract many of my
FSID's.

Am I missing something? It almost sounds like stuff where people
say to "skip sectors", but I thought that was in the post processing
steps on the Win32 side; I'm having problems on the TiVo itself, as
it's trying to locate/extract/copy the raw data from /dev/hdX10.

Ultimately, my plan is to write a "StreamServer" application (in
C/C++, not TCL) for the TiVo so that an Adobe Premier or TMPGEnc
plugin that I write can communicate with it over TCP/IP and
request/get data directly from the TiVo to encode. At the moment
though, it seems I can't get the basics working with existing
software.

At first I thought maybe it was because I was recording in "High
Quality" and not "Best Quality", but I have the same problems either
way. I also thought maybe I had the whole "Space Saving" or VBR
mode on, but that's not on either.

Any pointers would be much appreciated (even to why /dev/hdX4 fails
to mount).

Regards,

Jeremy