[ExtractStream] Re: My Dangerous Idea - A technical question, not a legal question

sharkey@a... sharkey at a...
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 18:50:03 -0400

> Where do I get more information about the implementation of Tridge's work?

Tridge keeps the code he's released here:

http://tivo.samba.org/download/tridge

Unfortunately, there's a lot he's claimed to have done that, AFAIK, he
hasn't released. That's part of the reason that ExtractStream exists,
in the first place. Tridge didn't want to release his version for
reasons I don't agree with.

> Is there software you need to enter into the TiVo to configure it to
> communicate and distribute information across the lan?

AFAIK, nothing like this exists in what you'd call a user-friendly form.

> Also, how can you set up a home network (high bandwidth)? Is it all in the
> hardware (Ethernet Card, Router) or what?

Routers aren't needed for local area networks. If you're using twisted
pair wiring, all you need are the cards and a hub or switch. You can
skip the hub/switch if you use coaxial wiring, but no one does that
anymore. Fast ethernet doesn't support coax. But then again, the Tivo
doesn't support fast ethernet.

Eric