[ExtractStream] Re: Ok, got started last night.

Grant Stockly grant at s...
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 22:45:35 -0800

>Debian rules. It's definitely the *only* way to go. (But keep in mind that
>I can also be reached as sharkey@d..., so, my opinions may be slightly
>biased. :) )
>
>There are *lots* of different Linux distributions out there, and which one
>is best doesn't really matter. The question is, which one is best for you?

Don't forget the great NetBSD. If you can think of a platform, it will run
on it. Never had a problem recompiling linix apps either. I guess the
fact I run NetBSD on most of my computers makes me something of a
minority...but I like the tried and true networking and disk oriented OS.

>For me, Debian is best, but I'm not a novice. Debian is often criticized
>for being difficult to install and rather tough for new users. I don't
>really know if I agree with that assessment, but remember, I'm biased.

Mandrake is pretty easy to install. Much easier than any windows OS (I'm
serious) so I'd recommend it to a brand new linux user. You can also
install it on your windows fat partition if you don't want to mess with fips.