[ExtractStream] .profile/$PATH problems

Richard Todd rick-todd at h...
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 20:28:21 -0600

Actually, that .profile/$PATH is from the tivonet floppy. The problem
I'm having is that I can change the .profile on either /dev/hda4 or
/dev/hda7, and the changes don't seem to affect the $PATH....weird eh?

I don't know how World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be
fought with sticks and stones...
-Albert Einstein

-----Original Message-----
From: sharkey@a...
[mailto:sharkey@a...]
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2001 10:38 AM
To: ExtractStream@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ExtractStream] .profile/$PATH problems

> OK, I got the nfs thing figured out...now I'm having a problem getting
> things running again, since the power went out, and I lost my settings
> (didn't put them in rc.sysinit).
>
> The problem seems to be in my .profile and $PATH.
>
> I have this in my .profile:
>
> export PATH=/tivo-bin/:$PATH":"/hack/bin/

That's a most unusual use of quotation marks you've got there. Why
are you quoting the second :?

> This seems to be keeping me from running most anything in /hack/bin,
> which is where just about everything is...

You've put your hack directory on the root filesystem? I have mine
on /var, since that's mounted rw, while / is ro.

> Any ideas?

Take out the quotes. I don't necessarily know that that's causing your
problem, but they look really weird in there. If you want to quote your
path, you should quote the entire value, not just a single character,
although it's not necessary to use quotes at all in this case.
(Assuming
that your original PATH variable doesn't contain a directory name with
spaces in it, in which case, it would be.)

Eric