Interesting info

The Nonesuch nonesuch773 at y...
Sat, 09 Jun 2001 02:57:25 -0000

> sonnikinno> In only 18 hours of being available for
> sonnikinno> download at http://pvrhack.sonnik.com,
> sonnikinno> extract stream has been downloaded 146 times

On a related note, in the first 24 hours of this groups existence,
over 330 people have subscribed to the mailing list. That is a good
measure of the interest in actually using the software.

I take no credit for the popularity of this list, credit goes to the
author of the PlayStream software, and to Nick Hull for sacrificing
his AVS forum account to release ExtractStream.

"Justin" <bounce2070@y... wrote:
> At least some of that is hoarding. Some people
> are grabbing it while they can, in case it
> becomes unavailable again -- whether or not
> they plan to actually use the software.

That's part of a long tradition on the Internet- when a controversial
piece of source code becomes available, people download and mirror
the software- not because they intend to use it, but to make it all
but impossible to eradicate.

As Internet pioneer John Gilmore once said, "The Net interprets
censorship as a defect and routes around it." (Time Magazine,
December 1993). John has interesting things to say about the social
structure of the Internet and information sharing, at
http://www.toad.com/gnu/

Nonesuch