[ExtractStream] Re: Interesting info

Robert S. Wojciechowski Jr. robertw at w...
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 14:42:21 -0400

I've seen 166 downloads, and about 1302 hits since yesterday from
http://tweek.wojo.com/tivo/ <http://tweek.wojo.com/tivo/> - not too bad!

I wonder how many TiVoNET's are out there... hmm.

--
Robert S. Wojciechowski Jr.
robertw@w...

-----Original Message-----
From: bobsand2@y... [mailto:bobsand2@y...]
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2001 2:33 PM
To: ExtractStream@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ExtractStream] Re: Interesting info

<http://pvrhack.sonnik.com,>
> > sonnikinno> extract stream has been downloaded 146 times
>
> On a related note, in the first 24 hours of this groups existence,
> over 330 people have subscribed to the mailing list. That is a good
> measure of the interest in actually using the software.
>
> I take no credit for the popularity of this list, credit goes to the
> author of the PlayStream software, and to Nick Hull for sacrificing
> his AVS forum account to release ExtractStream.
>
> "Justin" <bounce2070@y... wrote:
> > At least some of that is hoarding. Some people
> > are grabbing it while they can, in case it
> > becomes unavailable again -- whether or not
> > they plan to actually use the software.

Even hoarding denotes some base level of interest.

> That's part of a long tradition on the Internet- when a
controversial
> piece of source code becomes available, people download and mirror
> the software- not because they intend to use it, but to make it all
> but impossible to eradicate.
>
> As Internet pioneer John Gilmore once said, "The Net interprets
> censorship as a defect and routes around it." (Time Magazine,
> December 1993). John has interesting things to say about the social
> structure of the Internet and information sharing, at
> http://www.toad.com/gnu/ <http://www.toad.com/gnu/>
>
> Nonesuch

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=202225.1433492.3029752.1269402/D=egroupmail/S==
1703568
770:N/A=675622/*http:/altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1177-3936-1039-2?mpt=99211
1585> []

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=202225.1433492.3029752.1269402/D=egro=
upmai
l/S=1703568770:N/A=675622/rand=268497622>