[ExtractStream] Re: Directivo, TivoNET, and ExtractStream

tivo_extract@p... tivo_extract at p...
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:44:45 -0400

> At 19:24 6/11/2001 +0000, you wrote:
> > > I have a SAT60 and as far as I know, that means the TivoNET from
> > > 9thTee won't work for me (it won't fit, I guess). So I guess I'm
> >out
> > > of luck when it comes to using ExtractStream since I have nowhere to
> > > move the extracted videos.
> >
> >Well, if it's strictly a problem of how things are located inside the
> >chassis, the easy answer is, get rid of the old chassis, and move the
> >drives off to the side where they no longer interfere with the card
> >edge connector...
> >
> > > My question is, are all of you using the TivoNET/ExtractStream combo
> > > with the standalone Tivo units, or has anyone been able to do this
> >on
> > > DirecTivo?
> >
> >I've been told that ExtractStream itself is incompatible with
> >DirecTiVo, apart from any physical fit problem with TiVoNet.
>
> Since DirectTV uses their own compression scheme (and remember, the
> DirectTiVo doesn't have a quality setting, right?) then ExtractStream
> couldn't possibly work.
>
> I don't use DirectTV or DirectTiVo, but that is my understanding from
> sporadic reading of the Underground over the last year or two.

I believe (from what I've gathered) that DirecTV broadcasts in MPEG-2, with macrovision encoding. But from what I've read, the macrovision encoding is stripped, and then the MPEG-2 is saved directly to the drive.

Not sure what the ExtractStream software is meant to handle, but I thought the SA TiVOs used MPEG-2 as well.

--Eric