Directivo, TivoNET, and ExtractStream

markb@y... markb at y...
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:56:35 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., tivo_extract@p... wrote:
> In addition to this, if my belief that the DirecTiVO box itself
> removes the macrovision encoding, anyone using an extrator to get
> the stream off the box would not be liable for unencrypting the
> data - DirecTV did it themselves.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure Macrovision isn't anything that
could be confused with encryption. It's just some extra "noise" in
the analog output that confuses VCRs. With DVDs, it's basically just
a flag that tells the DVD player that is should add the
Macrovision "noise" to the video output. If DirecTV supports
Macrovision, it probably works in a similar way. But I'm not even
sure if DirecTV support Macrovision.

Has anybody here come across any DirecTV programming that they had
trouble recording with a VCR? I would suspect that if DirecTV were
to use Macrovision it would be on the PPV channels.

-Mark