Directivo, TivoNET, and ExtractStream

sjf@c... sjf at c...
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:07:38 -0000

As I understand it, on the stand-alones, if macrovision is detected
when receiving/recording the signal, a flag is set. Then when playing
back, if that flag is set, the macrovision signal is generated and
added to the playback signal.

For directv, the digital signal must be sent with a flag to determine
if the receiver is to apply the macrovision signal to the decoded
analog output. For DirectTivos, that flag must be stored with the
program, just as with standalones. And when played back, if the flag
is set, the macrovision signal is added into the analog playback.