Directivo, TivoNET, and ExtractStream

markb@y... markb at y...
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:42:16 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., tivo_extract@p... wrote:
> As for DirecTV supporting macrovision, I am pretty sure that all of
> the directv broadcasts are encoded with macrovision.

Well, some of them certainly are not, since I've recorded stuff off
DirecTV in the past. From what others have said, DirecTV does
support Macrovision, though.

> If I were directv, I definitely wouldn't broadcast a clear MPEG2
> stream.

They don't. It's encrypted. This has nothing to do with
Macrovision. DirecTV encryption is there to prevent signal theft,
while Macrovision is there to prevent VCR recording. Macrovision is
an analog signal, and therefore must be added in by the receiver
after decoding the digital signal.

-Mark